It’s World Animal Day today, coinciding with VeganMofo! Not only that, in the Netherlands it’s also unofficially “Don’t-Eat-Animals-Day”: EetGeenDierenDag. All Dutch are called to refrain from eating meat or fish today, even if it’s only for a single day in the year. If every inhabitant rose to this challenge, that would save 400.000 animals in JUST ONE DAY.*
So I hope all my fellow countrymen are joining! Several canteens from major companies will also only serve vegetarian food – yay! I wish they would do that every week for Meatless Monday though… There’s always a next step. ;)
I was too late in realising I should have invited a bunch of people for dinner and now I’m going out tonight. But I’m putting it in my calendar for next year, which will be a Friday!!! Nothing wrong with early planning. ;)
Back to the present. Here are the organic vegetables we scored in our CSA this week and the meals I plan to cook with it.
- Lollo rosso lettuce
- Runner beans
- Red mustard
- Corn cobs
Menuplan Thursday October 4th (World Animal Day!) – Tuesday 9 th
I still had some carrots so they’re priority no.1! This is what I came up with. World cooking!
- Thai carrot soup, cumin bread (freezer stash) and salad.
- Indian saag (spinach), leftover dal tarka (lentils), basmati rice and papadums with chutney or soygurt-mint sauce.
- Turkish beans (taze fasulye), carrot-walnut salad with soygurt dressing (cevizli havuç salatasi) adapted from Lokanta cookbook and pide bread or a grain dish.
- Pasta avocado, peas and seaweed (instead of pickleweed) from Puur Plantaardig (p.82).
- I plan to make a dessert with some local pears that are ripe now — any suggestions?
- And with this week’s celery I finally hope to try my hand at some eggless salad.. Recipe recommendations much appreciated!
So, what will YOU be eating tonight?
Tonight I won’t be eating at home. I’m going to watch ‘Japalicious’ foodie films on the Camera Japan festival in Rotterdam: Eatrip (documentary) and Our Homeland (fiction). Alas, neither will be vegan but there is a Buddhist monk in the first one… And of course I won’t be eating animals today anyway! ;) On Saturday I’ll be going to the festival again, with Mr Gnoe and friends. Then we’ll be eating at a world restaurant, Bazar!
Any eggless salad recipe you can recommend? Or a pear dessert?
I’d love to hear it!
* According to the host of EetGeenDierenDag, Wakker Dier.