These are the veggies we got for the last week of summertime.
- Savoy cabbage
- Escarole (2 bunches)
- Red paprika
- Corn cob
As we’re changing seasons today, these vegetables will be used in summer and fall menus.
Menu plan 21 – 27 September
While planning our meals I got distracted by all the yummy recipes and forgot to include the escarole, even though I had marked it urgent on my list. :\ So I’m somehow trying to squeeze it in at the last minute.
- Freezer stash Friday: courgette soup, Fry’s chicken style burger on bread with vegetable toppings.
- Saturday ~ from summer to fall: fresh tomato soup, seitan piccata with longbeans (p.174 V’con = Veganomicon) and oven-roasted sweetly spiced carrots with maple syrup (p.34 V’con).
Postscript: I used all ingredients but pretty much messed about with the proportions of beans and seitan – still it turned out awesome!
- Sunday: red lentil – cauliflower curry with leftover roasted carrots for lack of parsnip (p.186 V’con), cumin spiced quick bread (p.267 La Dolce Vegan) for the Dutch vegan society forums cookalong and some extra simple veggies on the side, like braised escarole/cabbage, corn on the cob and/or escarole salad.
- Mediterranean Monday: Briami (p.56 A Vegan Taste of Greece), Turkish bulgar with chickpeas (freezer stash) and lemony cucumber salad.
- Asian Tuesday: cabbage ramen/noodles (double recipe) and teriyaki tofu with leek or (vegan) egg roll.
Maybe sautéed escarole with leftover smoky tempeh marinade.
- Wednesday: vegetable roti with tofu and chickpea salad (p.82 Vegan Taste of Greece) with raw escarole.
- Thursday: pesto pasta with Savoy cabbage (with pesto from a jar), Puy lentil salad with beet (and
pine nuts, leftover smoky tempeh or breadgarlic croutons instead of goat’s cheese).
I also hope to bake some lemon cupcakes, based on the recipe for coconut-lemon Bundt cake in Veganomicon (p.256). I really don’t have a reason, except that it’ll be Nina’s first anniversary of being out of the shelter and living with us. She’s starting to believe she actually has a home! :)
Lemon cupcakes were a favourite when I still ate dairy & eggs and I haven’t dared trying a vegan recipe yet… But this cake by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero comes highly recommended! So will I find the time and courage this week?!
BTW did I tell you I’m going to be present at Terry Hope Romero’s World Vegan Eats cookbook presentation and cooking demo in Amsterdam at the end of October? Looking forward to it!
I updated last week’s menu with pictures from my meals, so have a look if you’re curious!
– – – – –
Join Beth Fish’s Weekend Cooking with a food-related post!