Four Dutch tweeps -slash- foodie bloggers have teamed up to share some dips & spreads with you for New Year’s Eve.
Chinoiseries is serving us Roasted Cauliflower Dip (vegetarian with vegan suggestion)
JannyAn shares some Nutty Blue Cheese Spread (vegetarian; post in Dutch)
Uniflame is spooning out Bean Paté (vegetarian with vegan suggestion)
The recipe that I’d like to share is a super easy, vegan dip that I’ve made several times now and is always a hit with vegetarians, flexitarians and omnivores alike: Mediterranean carrot spread.
I dedicate this post to Uniflame who seems to be at a loss with all the carrots among her CSA vegetables. ;)
Mediterranean Carrot Dip
- 250 grams carrots, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp good quality olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (or vinegar)
- 1 small garlic clove (or half a big one)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- cayenne pepper / harissa / sambal
- salt & pepper
- optional: salty black olives
Also handy: a (hand) blender
- Thoroughly cook the carrots on either your stove (about 20 minutes) or in microwave (4 minutes on 700 Wt). Drain.
- Blend (or mash) together carrots, olive oil, lemon juice (or vinegar), cumin and garlic.
- Add harissa (cayenne/sambal) and salt ’n peppa to taste.
- Let it completely cool down.
- Serve as a side dish or mezze, with Turkish pide bread, Italian ciappe, melba toast, veggies or whatever. It’s nice -but not necessary at all- to garnish this dip with salty black olives.
If you’ve got a few minutes left before you need to get ready for your s-mashing End of Year Party: grab some carrots and throw together this nice snack!
This spread can easily be made a day in advance but after 48 hours it gets too watery. Not that you’ll have any leftovers for that long! ;)
Now I highly recommend you hop over to the other participants’ recipes (links above)! :)
AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!!
Check out other food-related posts at Beth Fish’s Weekend Cooking!
& Zesty Palette’s New ‘U’ Event.