Yesterday we had our yearly celebration of Hanami: cherry blossom viewing, in the Amsterdam Woods’ Japanese sakura garden. The weather was FABULOUS and I have not seen so many people in the blossom parc before! A sign with flowers in remembrance of the earthquake/tsunami victims attracted quite some attention too.
Mr Gnoe was reading part 3 of Murakami’s 1q84 but Poor Me had to do some homework for my film review class: writing about Barney’s Version — a movie that was more entertaining than I had expected and evoked thoughts about Rossetti, Dante, (William Blake), heaven and hell. I wonder if my fellow classmates had the same associations.
Hanami 2011 Bento (#139)
Of course there can be no Hanami Matsuri without a picnic — meaning: bento. I didn’t have much time to prepare so it was a small afternoon snack/late Sunday lunch. But GOOOOD. :) Unfortunately my cute usagi picnic bento *died* on the way back from Amsterdam Woods two years ago and I still haven’t gotten myself another Big Box. So we used some Emsa lock & lock containers instead. They’re leak-proof and that’s always great for transport. ;)
- Italian Linghue crackers with rosemary
- Root vegetable crisps
- Cherry tomatoes & Cherry Belle or Champion radishes (de ‘ballenbak’)
- Pistachio nuts
- Sesame bread sticks
- Edamame hummus — another yummy recipe from the La Dolce Vegan! cookbook I got on my birthday
- Apricot-coconut treats from Vegalicious (super easy!)
- Drinks: shincha tea (first flush sencha) and ‘prosecco royale’
Quick Snack Bento (#140)
Since I had to finish and mail my review of Barney’s Version when we got home from our day under the sakura trees, I had only a little time to make a Monday bento. So it was just regular sammies today, accompanied by an apple, banana and this snack box. No complaints here though! ;)
- Edamame hummus
- Sesame breadsticks
- Nuts & dried fruit: apricots, cranberries, hazelnuts, walnuts
- Vegetables: spinach leaves, gherkin, radishes, cucumber, cherry tomato, caper berries, parsley
Have you been celebrating the blossoming of trees?