Some people have asked me why on earth I make a menu plan.
Well, here’s what happens when I don’t.
We got this nice batch of veggies last week.
- bok choy
- curly red leaf lettuce
- pears (Conférence)
- choggia beets
But after picking up our new vegetables yesterday, we still had to use most of previous week! Yep, even the fresh basil. Beetroot. Lettuce. Pak-choi cabbage. Some pears. And except for the fruit it all has to fit together in our refrigerator — which is not an American-sized model ;)
- red Batavia lettuce
- green beans
Menu plan for October 21st – 26th
- Stir-fried bok-choy, greens bean salad with sesame dressing, noodles & egg [today]
- Fennel soup with green bean tortilla and eggplant-lentil salad [weekend]
- Indian potatoes, Indian takeaway leftovers and spicy beet salad [weekend]
- Eastern beet soup, toemis andijvie (Indonesian stir-fried endive), nasi goreng (fried rice with leek)
- Veggie burger, sweet ’n sour beets with dill, endive-couscous rolls with goat’s cheese
- Friday: eating at my mother-in-law’s (so no need to plan anything :)
- Lunch today: my favourite tomato-fennel salad with fresh basil & olives, with some added lettuce for the occasion (although it’s better without)
Recipes are coming from several of my vegetarian cookbooks and 1 or 2 websites.
Fennel-tomato salad with fresh basil & olives
This may sound weird to you but I’m not really a fan of fennel. Still, this salad with tomato, fresh basil & olives is awesome! And darn easy. Just throw together the following ingredients:
- some cleaned and chopped up fennel,
- sweet tomatoes (the original recipe calls for cherry tomatoes but any ripe sweet tomato will do),
- fresh basil,
- black olives,
- ground pepper,
- and (white) wine vinegar.
You may choose to add some salt, depending on how salty your olives are. You can also sprinkle on a bit of extra virgin olive oil but there’s really no need.
Just a note on the side: eat this salad right away, do not let it sit for too long.
I’ve submitted this post to Midnight Maniac’s Meatless Mondays!