You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘paksoi’ tag.
zaterdag 9 juli 2011 in Cabbage recipes, CSA vegetable loot, English posts, Menu plan, Weekend Cooking, Whip up something new! | Tags: basilicum, bataviasla, biologisch, bonenkruid, chinese kool, ijsbergsla, kapucijners, koolrecept, kruiden, kruisbes, menuplan, paksoi, prei, radicchio, recept, selderie, spinazie, tomaat, tuinboon, uitdaging, utrecht, wortel | by Gnoe | 11 reacties
The first two weeks of summer brought some really nice greens to our dinner table. Introducing a new feature on Graasland as well! But you gotta read on a little for that. ;)
Organic CSA vegetables week 26, 2011
Here’s what we found in our CSA box the previous week.
- Chinese cabbage (napa, michihli)
It may seem a bit meagre but there’s something missing from the picture! Half a head of Chinese cabbage and a whole head of red Batavian lettuce. We picked up the veggies on our way to my aunt’s and since our fridge was still rather full we decided to leave some of the loot with her.
Organic CSA vegetables week 27, 2011
Now more importantly: this weeks veggies…
- Broad beans!!! Love ‘em!
- Kapucijner peas
- Iceberg lettuce
- Pak choi (bok choy)
- Savory (bonenkruid)
I hope I won’t bore you by sharing another menu plan?
Menu plan July 7-12 2011
Due to our schedule there’s a lot of ‘easy food’ on the menu this week.
- Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese [Wednesday]
- White bean & tomato soup (freezer stash), baguette, green salad with scapes, radicchio and pinenuts [Thursday]
- In between hike and going to the vets: Indian lentil soup (dahl, freezer stash), homemade pizza, cabbage & carrot salad (recipe below) [Friday]
- Broad bean soup, rosemary focaccia from Broodnodig, leftover mashed carrot salad, radicchio salad [Saturday]
- After a day of hiking: vegan ‘shoarma’ (Vivera roerbakreepjes) with pita bread, garlic sauce and leftover carrot-cabbage salad [Sunday]
- Kapucijner peas with veggies Provençale (adapting recipe for fresh peas), baguette, salad
- Stir-fry of pak choi, leek, mushrooms and tofu with rice
Many people don’t know what to do with cabbage. That’s a pity because it’s such a healthy vegetable; loaded with vitamins A & C, potassium, calcium, phosphor. It is also thought to be anti-carcinogenic! And if you’re a CSA participant like us you’ll often find it in your box. :)
So. I decided to share some cabbage recipes I like as a special feature on Graasland! Starting of with this week’s side dish of cabbage & carrot salad. Other recipes you can expect in the future are ‘Cabbage with Coconut’ and Indonesian ‘Sambal Goreng Cabbage’.
Easy cabbage-carrot salad
This is a veganised version of Eethuis Iris’ recipe from Zonnig zomers tafelen (p.20).
- 350 g pointed cabbage (I used a mix of pointed and Chinese cabbage; you could also take ordinary white)
- 100 g carrot, cleaned
- 3 tbs veganaise
- 0.5 dl fresh orange juice
- pinch of curry powder
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbs of roasted sunflower seeds
- chopped parsley (optional: it’s not in the original recipe but I added it for colour)
- Clean cabbage and cut out the hard core.
- Shred the cabbage very finely.
- Grate the carrot — or pulse a few times in your kitchen machine.
- Make a sauce of veganaise, orange juice, curry, salt and pepper.
- Mix vegetables and dressing, top with sunflower seeds and parsley.
On the contrary of what you may expect, the cabbage in this recipe is not overwhelming. I will make this salad again, maybe tweaking it here and there looking for an even better version: like adding a dash of lemon juice and possible some sweetener like agave syrup or golden raisins.
Do you have any favourite cabbage recipes to share? I’d love to hear them!
Join Beth Fish’s Weekend Cooking with a food related post!
Recipe submitted to the July Whip Up Something New! Challenge hosted on Joyfully Retired
vrijdag 10 juni 2011 in CSA vegetable loot, English posts, Menu plan | Tags: aardbei, biet, biologisch, bloem, csa, dille, groente, knoflook, kruid, lente, menuplan, paksoi, rode ui, utrecht | by Gnoe | 7 reacties
Even MORE strawberries this week! We have to thank that to a mix-up with our vegetables: at first only iceberg lettuce and dill were delivered to our CSA pick-up point… Now that won’t do, right? ;) When it was fixed later in the evening we got even more lettuce, dill — and two boxes of strawberries which we weren’t supposed to get at all since we had them last week. Lucky us!
- Bok Choy
- Red beets
- Iceberg lettuce
- Garlic flowers (scapes)
- Red bundle onions
So there’s actually another head of lettuce and a hand of dill in the fridge; they didn’t feel like coming out for the picture. ;)
Menu plan June 9-11 2011
Dinner plans for the next couple of days:
- Salad with couscous, orange-basil tempeh and sweet miso dressing (Vegan Family Cookbook), Moroccan tajine (freezer stash) [Thursday]
- Japanese meal at a friends house. Our contribution: Ginger Miso Soup with Kombu Dashi (Vegan Family Cookbook) [Friday]
- Szechuan Noodles with Hot Spicy Peanut Sauce and Pak Choi (Vegan Family Cookbook) [Saturday]
I’ve already shown you our Mexican dinner (bento) and Summer Picnic Pie, so I’ll just leave you with a picture of the Hollandse pot (‘Dutch dish’) from last week’s menu plan: broad-leaved endive mash & bangers with mushroom gravy.
donderdag 26 mei 2011 in CSA vegetable loot, English posts | Tags: amelishof, csa, lenteui, linzensalade, menuplan, paksoi, paprika, peterselie, prei, sla, veganistisch, vegetarisch, wortelsoep | by Gnoe | 5 reacties
A quick post about this week’s organic vegetables from Amelis’Hof. If you think you missed some veggies lately — you’re right! I’m two weeks behind but will post about them a.s.a.p.
- Spring onions
- Bok choi
- Red bell pepper
Looking forward to next week when we’ll be getting STRAWBERRIES!
Menu plan for the week (#21)
- Carrot-orange soup, Puy lentil salad (from The Vegan Table Cookbook p.190 via Food for Thought podcast) and panini. [Wednesday]
- Noodles & sesame-ginger stir-fry with tofu, shiitake mushrooms, pakchoi, leek, paprika and carrot (inspired by Eileen’s stir-fry in La Dolce Vegan! p.148). [Thursday]
- Veggie hotdog, lentil leftovers & green salad.
- Noodle salad & leek soup (Mc Donald’s Kitchen p.59).
- Sweet potato with spicy cumin mayo (VEGA-gerechten p.364), veggie burger and baked leek with oyster mushrooms (Eethuis Iris’ Groentegetechten p.40).
- Lentil loaf (from The Vegan Table Cookbook p.248 via Food for Thought podcast)
On Tuesday I’ll be dining out with friends so I’m guessing Mr Gnoe will be eating pizza, omelet or something else with cheese and/or egg. ;)
Do you have any plans for the week?